As a result of the fall of man in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-24), due to disobedience to God’s single command, man lost dominion; he lost everything. Sin leads to losses and demotion. Part of the result of the fall was the pronouncement of a terrible curse on man (Genesis 3:17-19). The curse was what brought about labour without benefit. It was the curse that brought sweat in the first place. The ground was cursed to begin to bring out thistles; this curse brought about toiling. Man has to till the ground and sweat to make ends meet. This was the origin of sweating. Originally, man was supposed to walk in sweatless victory, in dominion. The good news, however, is that God love us so much that He gave man a second chance and brought his Son, Jesus Christ. In Eden, man was defeated but Jesus defeated the deceiver in the garden of Gethsemane.
In order to break the curse of toiling with nothing to show for it, Jesus had to sweat blood in that garden; he was so sorrowful that His sweat was like blood and that sweat went into the ground. The price for your sweatless victory was paid in the garden of Gethsemane and on the cross. Jesus taught us how to be victorious. The mystery of victory is revealed in the place of prayer. Jesus could not have completed his ministry without prevailing prayers. It was prayer against the serious contention that were unleashed against Him. He prayed to the extent that heaven had to respond with an enabling grace. Even in that prayer, Jesus was still in the perfect will of God.
Anything that overwhelms you spiritually has defeated you physically. If you want to win and walk in the realm of ceaseless victories in any battle at all, your prayer must be intense; you must have a garden of prayer. You must sweat it out in the garden of prayer in order to walk in sweatless victories this year. Before any major project or assignment, settle it in the place of prayer. Your personal prayer altar is the most important thing in your life. That is the place that is called ‘there’; the place where you will meet with God. That is where all issues are settled including the mystery over stubborn challenges. Jesus encountered a stubborn challenge, prayed sweat, after which he was able to face the cross.
Death on the cross was so gruesome that Roman citizens were exempt from it. Every inch of the way was agonizing and every step was a step of no return in order to secure the blessings of redemption. The greatest mistake anyone can make is to crucify Christ a second time. If you don’t place enough value on your relationship with Jesus, you will continue to crucify Him. Anytime you lower the standard in holiness, righteousness and wisdom, what you are doing essentially is nailing Christ to the cross again. He shed His blood for the remission of our sins; He paid the ultimate price, His sinless blood was shed so that His righteousness will become our righteousness.
Isa.53:3-5, 1 Pet. 2:24
The kind of whipping Jesus received for you and I was called scourging, the worst kind of flogging administered by Roman soldiers. They devised a special whip with thongs, for maximum impact, which was meant to lacerate. In fact, Church historians said that so much flesh was ripped out of Jesus’ body that all his internal organs were visible. Christ received the maximum punishment possible and for each of those stripes, blood was shed to address the issue of sin and the curse that was pronounced upon man. We need to put this in perspective so that we can treasure what Jesus did for us.
Whenever you say ‘by his stripes, I am healed’, always picture what happened on the cross and you will see the impact. This is our year of comprehensive dominion and part of that dominion is dominion over sickness. You must understand the blood seed and the sweat seed. The blood of Jesus Christ is the blood of harvest; the sweat of Jesus Christ is the sweat of harvest. It is a seed and as long as the earth remains, seedtime and harvest shall not cease. The blood seed is life. It was because of the flow of the blood of Jesus Christ that death has been destroyed. Blood talks about life; the life of the flesh is in the blood so the life of Christ is in the blood of Christ and anywhere that blood speaks, the voice of death is silenced. That is why Romans 8:1-2 says, “there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death”.
Isa. 53:5 says “… and with his stripes we are healed” while 1 Pet. 2:24 says “… by whose stripes ye were healed”. Prophet Isaiah was still expecting Christ when he wrote but by the time Apostle Peter was writing, Christ had already come. Apostle Peter could not lay his hands on the sick because of their number but his shadow healed them all. Healing is part of what Jesus secured for us on the cross, learn to appropriate it, learn to stretch for your healing and take delivery of this “children’s bread”.
There are five major reasons why people fall sick in spite of what Christ has done on the cross: –
- Sin – unconfessed sin in the life of a believer. Sin attracts sickness. Sin is missing the mark and the prescription for sin is repentance. Always keep a very short record of sin. Don’t go to bed with an unconfessed sin in your life and as you are doing that remember to forgive anyone who has offended you. Whenever you hold anyone in unforgiveness, you are holding yourself. Unforgiveness leads to psychosomatic sicknesses. The devil likes to use bitterness because it brings defilement according to Heb. 12:15 and anything that defiles attract demons.
- Ignorance – Ignorance is lack of knowledge. The Bible says that my people perish because of lack of knowledge. Cultivate the habit of reading. One thing you must feed and feast on this year is the word of God. Prov. 4:20-22. Have you learnt to take delivery of the word of God? There is a dimension to the word of God that heals you supernaturally; take delivery of it. Study to show yourself approved.
- Satan and his demons – whenever sick people come for deliverance and the demons are cast out, they get healed. When Jesus cast out the dumb and deaf spirit in a man, he started hearing and speaking. Some sicknesses are spiritual and the antidote to spiritual sickness is the name of Jesus, the blood of Jesus, the word of God and the fire of His presence.
- Carelessness – A lot of people want to live long but they are eating junk and dangerous foods. You are gradually becoming what you are eating. There is also so much environmental pollution.
- Old age – there is time to be born and a time to die.
The world is sick. Children of God must have the right connection in order to walk in dominion over sickness, disease and death and that connection is Jesus Christ. On a daily basis, learn to appropriate Him. Remember that He is the incarnate Word. Let the river of life flow in you and through you continually; anywhere there is a flow, there are deposits and part of that deposit is health, wealth, wisdom and life.
- Father, I thank you for you have done all things well, thank you because your thoughts for us are thoughts of good and not for evil. Thank you for your redemptive programme, thank you for enabling your Son to fulfill it, thank you for so much grace that procured so much blessings for us. We appreciate and celebrate you, Jesus, we love you, we celebrate you and thank you for your mercy. In any way that we have crucified you again on the cross, please forgive us, cleanse us, purge us, purify us and help us never to belittle so great a salvation package. Thank you Jesus. We love you. Amen.